Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Man or Woman?

Did I wish growing up, that was a boy?
YES! countless number of times!
Do I wish now, that I belong to the male of the species??
NO! I like being me, and belonging to the female of the species is one of them :)

Contrary to popular opinion about me, I am not a feminist, I believe in gender equality.
So I gently correct ( give a tongue lashing ;-) ) people when they say men/women cannot do a certain thing because of their gender.

It is just that, the things women are not "supposed" to do are way more than what men allegedly cannot/should not, hence the perception of feminism.

I am not even sure what feminism entails anymore, if I go by a stereotypical definition of a feminist, I should be a bra burning, man hating mad hatter.
I like my bra and men, thank you very much.
That is the thing about stereotypical definitions : they do not evolve :)
Am I the stereotypical "feminist"?
No, I believe men and women should have equal rights, just that women have some catching up to do in terms of them said rights.

Growing up, I did get to hear the dreaded " because you are a girl " statement..., which always got ( and still gets ) my goat. But the good was/is that I was never asked not to question or fight back if I thought something was unfair and that I think is the single most defining part of who I am today.
As my Mom says, the freedom that you have today ( to talk to us, question us, fight us ) is much more than what was accorded to your Dad and me, we come from a different generation, you also have to make some allowances for us.

Mom eventually changed her " because you are a girl..." to " Because this is my house and you will do as I tell you.." :D ( She is rather autocratic isn't she? :)), which to be fair, she also told my brother this constantly :D.

I am not sure if we will ever get to the stage where there are no gender stereotypes, but I do think the gap between what men/women can/should do is narrowing ( slowly, but still.. ) and that makes me happy :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me :)